Saturday, June 28, 2008

Sausage and Green Bean Soup

I got the recipe for this soup off of the Whole Foods website. I made this the other night and it turned out fantastic. We've been eating it as leftovers the past couple of days. It's really easy to make and doesn't take long to cook at all. The recipe calls for organic items, obviously you don't have to do that if you don't want to.

Sausage and Green Bean Soup

3 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 (12 ounce) package Kielbasa pork sausage, cut into 1/2 inch slices (I recommend cutting these again to make half circles, so it's more managable when eating)
1 (16 ounce) bag frozen organic cut green beans
4 cups gluten free chicken stock (I accidentally bought chicken broth and it turned out fine)
2 bay leaves
Sea salt, to taste
Ground pepper, to taste

Place all ingredients in a large soup pot. Slowly bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Adjust seasonings to taste before serving.

When I was shopping for the ingredients for this soup, I couldn't find things in the exact measurements it called for (For example, I had to buy 2 10 ounce bags of green beans, the sausage was 16 ounces, not 12, they only had large potatoes, etc) so I bought a extra little thing of chicken broth to adjust the liquid accordingly. Also, cooked chicken sausage could be used in this recipe in place of the pork sausage, if you'd like. This soup reminds me of the Zuppa Toscana from Olive Garden that I miss so much, just with green beans instead of that green stuff they put in their soup. It's a great substitute, so I am not even sad about not being able to eat their Zuppa Toscana anymore! Hooray for gluten free!

No comments: