Monday, January 19, 2009

I've gone insane, but brought recipes, so that makes it okay, right?

I have come back from the edge of death! After Friday, I started feeling a LOT better. Those first two days were rough. Looking back, I honestly don't remember much of them except the big parts, LOL! I went through my sent text messages today to delete them, and I didn't remember sending most of them. Good thing I didn't say anything too off the wall. Whew, dodged a bullet there. :)

My wonderful fiance took really good care of me. Friday he went to the store to get me stuff to eat, and surprised me with beautiful flowers and a really funny get well card! I love him. :)


Then he made me AMAZING macaroni and cheese with hot dogs that I will probably be begging for for every meal for every day for probably 3 weeks, because, you know, that's just how I roll. I had previously bought the Tinkyada rice pasta shells, so at the store he picked up velveeta and made me gluten free velveeta shells and cheese. YUM! Then he chopped up a hot dog (Hebrew National all beef dogs are the BEST) really, really tiny and threw them in there. The cheese was sooo creamy (add a little milk). Oh. My. Gosh. I almost died. Mac 'n cheese and hot dogs is my one true love. Very easy to chew too.

Besides that, I have subsisted on primarily yogurt and pudding for 5 days running. I tried some cottage cheese, but have since decided that that was not a smart decision for obvious reasons.

While I was laying around on the couch fighting the good fight, I watched more chick shows than can be considered healthy. I'm talking the Style channel and WE (Women's Entertainment) ALL DAY LONG. I've seen the same episode of Rich Bride, Poor Bride (the one with the Victorian theme...yeah, YOU KNOW WHAT'S UP) 4 times. Seriously, how the hell did they end up under budget by $49?? Unfortunately, I also saw a silly amount of Clean House. They take these people with cluttered houses and redesign them and make them beautiful. Somehow (maybe it it was the pain killers, maybe it was looking at my friend Kortnei's beautiful house on her blog and silently wondering where my chick gene ended up) but I ended up making decisions that should only be made when you know that you will absolutely NEVER follow through with them. I know what you're thinking, what the hell is this broad saying? I have decided...probably against my better judgement...and without fully allowing myself to return to my non-menstrual (sorry, TMI, but girls, you know), non-medicated, non-self depricating (I'm going to be a terrible wife, I can't decorate a house!)...I have made the decision...

To PAINT our master bedroom.

WHAT THE HELL AM I THINKING??

I know I am crazy, I know I have just about lost my mind. I got the great idea to paint our last house and I HATED every minute of it. In fact, I'm pretty sure it took us more than 6 months to finish it, and we barely finished it before we had to move out. When we moved into our new house, I told myself and pretty much everyone who asked, that I am not painting for at least 10 years, or until I forgot how bad it SUCKED the last time. And yet, here I am. Someone should really take away my ability to make decisions. And Brandon, God love him, as much as he despises painting, he pretty much let me do what makes me happy. So this weekend we have picked colors. And tonight we painted one wall with a primer. I am excited, but it's still early.

Now, as promised, here are the recipes I made from Food Network Magazine (LOVE IT!) that turned out great. The shrimp will be great for all your Superbowl parties!

Slow-Cooker Pork Tacos
From Food Network Magazine

3 whole ancho chiles (which, apparently, are just dried pasilla chiles)
3 whole pasilla chiles
4 cloves garlic, unpeeled
2 to 3 chipotles in adobo sauce (CHECK YOUR CAN. I picked up one with wheat starch first and had to swap it out)
1/2 medium white onion, roughly chopped
3 tablespoons EVOO (shout out to Rachael Ray)
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
Kosher salt
2 teaspoons dried oregano, preferably mexican
3 1/4 cups (gluten free) chicken broth
4 lbs boneless pork shoulder (untrimmed), cut into chunks
Freshly ground pepper
2 bay leaves
1 cinnamon stick (use a small one)
corn tortillas
Assorted taco toppings

1. Put the ancho and pasilla chiles and the garlic in a bowl. Microwave on high until soft and pliable, 2 to 3 minutes. Stem and seed the chiles; peel the garlic. Transfer to a blender.

2. Add the chipotles, onion, 2 tablespoons olive oil, honey, vinegar, 1 tablespoon salt, and the oregano to the blender; puree until smooth. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over high heat; add the chile sauce and fry, stirring, until thick and fragrant, about 8 minutes. Pour in the broth and reduce until slightly thickened.

3. Season the pork all over with salt and pepper and transfer to a large slow cooker. Add the bay leaves and cinnamon stick, then pour in the sauce. Cover and cook on high until the meat is tender, about 5 hours.

4. Discard the bay leaves and cinnamon stick. Shred the pork with 2 forks; season with salt and pepper. Serve.

Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp with Chipotle Barbeque Sauce
From Food Network Magazine

20 strips of bacon
20 medium-large shrimp, shelled and deveined (about 1 lb)
1/2 cup barbeque sauce (I used KC Masterpiece)
1/4 cup canola oil
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
3 tablespoons chopped chipotles in adobo sauce (Don't forget to check that can)
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Freshly ground pepper

1. Soak 5 to 8 bamboo skewers in water for about 20 minutes to keep them from burnin on the grill or under the broiler.

2. Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a large skillet until halfway done, about 4 minutes. Drain and cool on paper towels. Wrap a peice of bacon around the middle of each shrimp; skewer with bamboo through the point where the bacon ends meet to keep it from unraveling. Thread 3 to 5 shrimp on each bamboo skewer.

3. Puree the barbeque sauce, oil. lemon juice, mustard, chipotles, red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a blender. Set aside a little more than half of the sauce for dipping.

4. Preheat a grill, grill pan, or broiler. Grill or broil shrimp for 5 minutes, basting with the sauce once they begin to turn pink. Flip, baste again, and grill or broil until just cooked through, about 4 more minutes. Serve with extra sauce.

I loved the barbeque sauce from this recipe. It would be fantastic with other things. And, like I said, that would be something great (and easy) to do for Superbowl. Oh please, don't act like you don't look forward to all that junk food, I mean, the big game! Yeah...

3 comments:

Kortnei said...

Yay, paint! It is never a fun process but the end result is (almost) always worth it. What colors are you using?

Endless Possibilities said...

Lovely flowers!

I got ya!

Yeah, I wanted to know what color too :)

GF Steph said...

We're doing an accent wall as a rustic red, then all the others a gold-ish beige. We're still looking for the right color to go with our bed skirt. What we've found so far is either too dark or too grey or too yellow! Grr...picking colors is the WORST.