Sunday, July 12, 2009

Kinnikinnick Gluten Free Chocolate Dipped Donuts

The days of being deprived while being gluten free is O-V-E-R, folks.

I've had a running list in my head for as long as I've been gluten free of foods that I really, really miss. These are foods that I thought I'd never be able to enjoy again, mainly because I've never tried a substitution that I didn't spit out or throw out.

Within the last several months, I have found the gluten free version for ALL of them. Bread? Check. (Gluten Free Creations Honey Oat Bread.) Bagels? Check. (Gluten Free Creations. A-MA-ZING.) Cookies? Check. (Cookies From Home, and, more conveniently, Betty Crocker's new GF mix). Donuts?

I have been on the prowl for gluten free donuts. Donuts, like bagels, are something that I just refuse to make myself. Too difficult and tedious. And despite my LOVE for Gluten Free Creations (seriously love, love, LOVE them), I ordered their cinnamon sugar donuts and they were GROSS. It was like eating a churro-flavored kitchen sponge. It was nasty, and I threw them out.

I finally stumbled upon these little gems in my grocery store this weekend:

Kinnikinnick Gluten Free Chocolate Dipped Donuts. And, as you can see in the picture, they are also wheat free (obviously), dairy free, and soy free. My best friend Michelle (@ Gluten Free Gluttony) did a positive review on these a while back. Ever since then I've wanted to try them.

They were a pricey at $7.99 for the box of 6 small donuts. But I've been obsessing over donuts, so I gave in.

I made one this morning for breakfast, and for the record, they do not photograph well:

Straight from the freezer, you microwave them for less than a minute (took longer than the package stated) and then devour. They are dense, but not so bad that it ruins your donut experience. The flavor is good and the chocolated coating is very sweet! I sighed my relief and appreciation after the first bite. Finally. A good donut.

These donuts are delicious and will definitely satisfy any donut craving you might have. At the price, I probably will not keep these around all the time--just as a special treat. But you can bet that I'm not sharing the last five. :)


Endless Possibilities said...

So good! I am now craving these since reading your post!

CB said...

Kinnikinnick Cinnamon Sugar donuts and Kinni-Toos (oreos) are really good too. I tried their bread, english muffins, and bagels too and they were all just so-so.
My grocery store just started carrying the frozen products for a little cheaper than what you paid. But you can also order directly from the company on their website.

Kerrie aka GFShaolin said...

I keep a box of the chocolate or the vanilla ones in my freezer at all times....just incase I need to grab and go or my gluten-loving family wants doughnuts...thank god Stop & Shop carries them now!

Anonymous said...

I was sitting here eating the kinnikinnick cinnamon sugar donut when I saw your post. Giant carries all their products. Delicious! By the way, if you crave an old fashioned grilled cheese sandwich, Kinnikinnick bread is the way to go.

~*Nikki*~ said...

I just bought my first box of these from Whole Foods and they are delicious! (just like the real thing)

The only minor thing bad about them is that they do have a bit of transfat per donut... 0g doesn't mean it's free unfortunately. (see the nutrition facts on their website)