Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Short N Sweet Bakery In Tempe, AZ – Gluten Free Cinnamon Rolls

Short N Sweet is a bakery in Tempe, AZ that is run by Julia, a celiac, and her husband. They offer several gluten free baked goods, such as chocolate chip cookies, muffins, cupcakes, bundt cakes, and even custom cakes and gift sets. But their claim to fame? Gluten Free cinnamon rolls.

Short-n-sweet2

I first heard of Short N Sweet bakery after Julia followed me on Twitter. Intrigued, I did a quick google search, which turned up very positive reviews. I also read several glowing reviews on Gluten Free Registry.

Shortly there after, I found out that they were being carried at Gluten Free Country Store in Gilbert (if you haven’t had a chance to get down there yet, you really need to move it to the top of your to-do list. They have ALL the best gluten free goodies there!). And, like so many other reviews of these cinnamon rolls, Gary (from GFCS)—whose opinion of gluten free products I value almost as much as my own—had wonderful words for them that may or may not have been in all caps and ended with exclamation points.

I bought 2 of these little ditties when I was at his store. They sold for $4.99 and are in the freezer section. They come frozen, and silly little me took them home and put them directly into the freezer.

But Stephanie, you say, what’s so wrong with that?

I know, young grasshopper, I was once as naive as you. The fact of the matter is, these will not survive your household long enough to necessitate remaining frozen. Go ahead. Trust me. Just put them in the refrigerator.

Long story short—I need Short N Sweet Gluten Free Cinnamon Roll Addicts Anonymous. I ate those two cinnamon rolls before they even knew what hit them.

And then I had the itch. Whoa, whoa—not that kind of itch (p.s. go see your doctor). I wanted more. Nay—I needed more. For me to continue my journey through this life I needed to get more gluten free cinnamon rolls from Short N Sweet bakery—STAT.

So this past weekend, I asked (read: TOLD. DEMANDED. THREATENED TO BEAT HIM UNTIL HE CRIED LIKE A LITTLE GIRL) my husband if we could make a quick stop at the Short N Sweet bakery while we were out running errands. Conveniently located at Elliot and McClintock! We were in the area! (I planned it that way..ha)

I had the pleasure of meeting Julia and her husband when we stopped in and we chatted for a bit. Such wonderful and friendly people! They told me all about their products and their cautious baking techniques. At present time, they do bake non-gluten free items. I feel comforted that Julia is a Celiac herself, and therefore takes all the precautionary measures to prevent cross contamination. However, soon they will be converting their bakery to ENTIRELY gluten free. YAY! 

And finally…we meet again…like star crossed lovers who overcome all the odds…

IMG_2188

Each gluten free cinnamon roll comes in a microwavable container.

IMG_2199

Here (above) is what it looks like straight from my fridge. Huge schmear of cream cheese frosting on top. Pop the top a bit and then toss it in the microwave. I microwave mine for about 30 seconds, just until the frosting is melty.

IMG_2209

And I wait. Anxiously. With baited breathe.

IMG_2211

Opening this is almost as good as opening presents on Christmas morning.

IMG_2217

Oh, sweet, sweet cinnamon goodness. Bestill my heart. These gluten free cinnamon rolls are positively out of this world. Did you hear that? OUT OF THIS WORLD. The texture of them are so absolutely perfect. No grit. Not chalky. No bizarre after taste. Soft. Fluffy. The cinnamon to sugar ratio in perfect harmony.

I typically enjoy each cinnamon roll with my husband. I usually employ the technique of eating faster than him so I end up getting more than half. Heh Heh. I’m not much of a food sharer (and by “not much” I mean, “I turn into a rabid dog that will eat your face if you even look at my food”).  But these are a very, very sweet treat, so share I must.

Now I just need to work on my cinnamon-sugar mustache:

IMG_2224

It’s a dirty job.

Here is all of the info on where to pick up some of these Short N Sweet Gluten Free Cinnamon Rolls for yourself:

Short N Sweet Bakery (click here for their website)

1805 E Elliot Rd Suite 106 (SE corner of Elliot and McClintock)

Tempe, AZ 85284

480.491.5417

(By the way, if you stop in, tell ‘em I sent ya! They have a sweet referral program)

Or, as with SO many other amazing gluten free products, you can get their cinnamon rolls (even other Valentine’s Day themed treats) at Gluten Free Country Store.

3345 S Val Vista Dr, Suite 101 (202 Santan freeway and Val Vista)
Gilbert, AZ 85297
480-889-9932

And while you’re there, grab a bag of the chocolate chip cookies from Short N Sweet. You won’t regret it!

8 comments:

april said...

ok first off, seriously LOVING your pics! you are too cute!

second.... i do recall begging you to try these addictive bits of heaven. =P

third... i see i have now made a monster LOL. oh and i am totally a bun hog too! troy cracks up. he says i am not possessive of anything but these buns ROFL

that's awesome they have a referral program! i totally want to visit her bakery sometime. i just wish it was closer.

and just so you know, i will be joining you in those Short N Sweet Gluten Free Cinnamon Roll Addicts Anonymous meetings! LOL

Traci said...

I tried the cinnamon rolls about a week ago...OH MY! Delicious!! :) SOO sweet & soft. I have been dying to have a good cinnamon roll for 4+ years. I also tried their chocolate chip cookies-WOW!!

I want to go to her bakery soon!

How much are the cinnamon rolls when you go to her bakery?

Impressions Of My Life At The Moment said...

Jesus C. MAN! I am loving those pics. I think I drooled. I need to have that. So thanks for reviewing that and adding to my ever growing gluttony.

H Bain said...

Dear Stephanie-
Thank you for posting all of this information about Celiac and Gluten-Free resources! My name is Heather Bain, and we have just started trying to eat Gluten-Free, and I found your blog after doing a search on the Gluten Free Country Store in Gilbert, AZ, which we love (and now I'm kicking myself that we didn't try a few of the cinnamon rolls)! While my fmaily and I haven't been formally diagnosed with Celiac, a few of your physicians have suggested we try eliminating gluten from our diet because of the number of allergies we have. If you'd like, my blog is at http://hnbain.blogspot.com, and I have a website at http://sites.google.com/site/hnbain, to better explain what type of wheat allergy/allergy condition that I and many members of my family have (and why I was so excited when I came across your blog!!!). I was going to post the contact information for the Gluten-Free Country Store, and I wanted to ask if I could include the information for your blog, as well-you have an incredible amount of valuable information about this topic, and I know a lot of people that would be grateful for all of these resources (including me and many members of my family :). Thank you so much!

Thank you!
Heather Bain
Heather's Miracle Dog
http://sites.google.com/site/hnbain
http://hnbain.blogspot.com
http://www.youtube.com/hnbain

GF Steph said...

Traci --

I'm not sure how much I paid for them at Short N Sweet, I assume the same, $4.99. I didn't get an itemized receipt! All I know is that I paid $30 dollars total when I went there (and I got a lot of stuff, lol)

P.S. Try their red velvet if you get a chance...sooooo good!

GF Steph said...

Heather--

Thanks so much for visiting my blog! I am so glad you like Gluten Free Country Store! I am a HUGE HUGE fan, if you couldn't tell! Lol! (I'm going to be doing another post on them soon, so keep your eyes peeled!)

To answer your questions, I have no problem with you linking to my blog! I would appreciate!

Chandice said...

Stephanie,


I saw your blog through another and love that you are an AZ gluten free blogger! I am actually the East Valley celiac support group founder, small world! :) Are you coming to our great Chef's panel meeting tomorrow night? I would love to meet you. Also, I run a gf lifestyle website, glutenfreefrenzy.com and would love to have you visit. We do gluten-free giveaways every Friday! If you would like, we can add each others sites to our blog rolls. I look forward to hearing from you!

Chandice
www.glutenfreefrenzy.com

GF Steph said...

Chandice--

HEY! I feel like I know you already, lol. I've been to your site several times! I had the link to the East Valley Support Group site up, but I just updated it to add Gluten Free Frenzy! Unfortunately, I am not going to be there tomorrow night. I work in North Scottsdale until 6-6:30pm, so I can't make it in time. It's sounds like a great meeting though and I'm sad I won't be able to make it! But maybe with some advance planning, I can make it to next months! I would love to meet you and everyone else!