Saturday, February 20, 2010

Short N Sweet Bakery in Tempe, AZ on hiatus

I wanted to share with everyone this very important update about Short N Sweet bakery since my last post was about their incredible gluten free products.

Here is the latest newsletter from Julia:

State of the Sweets Address
from Julia

Transition to Gluten-Free dedicated Bakery-Temporary Hiatus
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for your outpouring of support! You are my Gluten Free warriors!


As many of you know, I have been pushing for the bakery to go all Gluten Free. I began this journey 1 year after my diagnosis...my quest to create great tasting Gluten Free products, so good that people wouldn't know they were Gluten Free. Fast forward to 2 years later and I believe I have a few of the best tasting Gluten Free products available.


My business partners were beginning to see why going all Gluten Free was so important to the Celiac community as well as myself. My husband Mike and I were going to buy them out and turn Short N' Sweet into a dedicated Gluten Free facility. We wanted a place that was so great tasting that it didn't need to scream "GF" but all GF people would know it was and the non-GF people would just think it tasted great.


Out of the blue, our business partners came back and said they wanted to keep Short N' Sweet as a non-GF bakery and we would never be truly gluten-free. I REFUSED to be told that a Gluten Free only bakery could not make it and that Gluten Free was "just a fad"! Try telling my disease that "it's just a fad". I immediately began my search for our next location. As the days went on, relations between myself and my partners became unmanageable and I was unable to remain at Short N' Sweet. The timing of my departure could not be more challenging as I was featured in the newspaper this week as well. Here is a link if you missed the article: http://www.azcentral.com/community/tempe/articles/2010/02/17/20100217short-n-sweet-bakery-gluten-free-tempe0219.html

I am committed to providing superior gluten-free products at reasonable prices to the gluten-free community that is responsible for all my success. I am no longer willing to compromise in the service of my customers. However, I know how many people have grown to depend on my products and it saddens me to let anyone down. I appreciate all your support and the success of the products that has ultimately led to this split with Short N' Sweet and I promise to be up and running as quickly as possible. The great news is that this time the bakery will be all mine and ALL GF!


I will send out updates as soon as they happen to all that have subscribed to this newsletter and thanks to all of you that have helped me spread the word already. It is a pleasure to serve the Celiac community that I am so proud to be a part of and this hiatus is just a bump in the road as we find new and better ways to serve our customers.


Thank you again for everything, see you soon!
Julia Lersch


Questions? please email me at: julialersch@yahoo.com

1 comment:

Traci said...

I was just down there yesterday! The lady told me they were looking for a new location. Thanks for sharing that!! :)