Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Finally, A Real Post!

Ok, I hope to tackle a lot of ground in this entry! It's been a while since I could give this blog the attention it deserves. YAY!

First things first. Two days ago was my beautiful, wonderful, oh-so-handsome boyfriend's 25th birthday. I had been planning his birthday surprise since May! It was torture to keep it from him, but I did, and he had no idea! I wouldn't even give him hints. I just told him not to make any plans for Monday morning because I had something planned!

My boy is very adventurous (and mischievious!) and definitely the risk taker of the two of us. He had mentioned in passing a couple of times that he thought it would be cool to get a pilot's license. So being the master googler that I am, I found an introductory flight for those interested in flight training! He was going to get to go up in a Cessna and actually fly the plane!

So I got him up really early and made him wear a blindfold while I drove us to the Chandler Airport. He was really familiar with the area, so I didn't want him to guess it before we got there. It was so silly and I was so excited that my plan was coming alive that I took a picture of him on the ride there!

He wasn't so sure about being at the airport when he removed his blindfold. He asked if we were going up in a plane, and I said, "YOU'RE gonna fly the plane!!" It was so much fun. This is him right after he found out.

Here he is standing outside of the plane. He was nervous!

Here is my boy in the pilot's seat before take off!

Here I am in the backseat of the plane, pretake off! I figured if we crashed and burned and all they found was my camera they would know we were excited for our death flight! Lol.


I couldn't get a lot of good pictures of B flying from the backseat, but here is a good one. He really is flying the plane here, you just can't tell.

View from out the window, lots of farm land!

Mountains in the distance. It was an amazing experience, even not flying the plane!


I can't get the video to work, but the pilot had B do a 60 degree bank. It was so cool! When you looked out the window, it was like looking straight at the ground practically! It was the only time my stomach flip flopped the whole time! It was fun!

Here he is with his birthday cake. He is the most amazing man I have ever met and I am SOOO happy that I could make one of his dreams come true this year!

The flight was absolutely amazing, and if anyone is in Arizona and interested in the information to the place, let me know! AWESOME experience!

I made gluten free oatmeal cookies for him for his birthday because they are his favorite!

I adapted the recipe from Quaker Oats to be gluten free, here it is:

Gluten Free Oatmeal Cookies

1 1/4 cups (2 1/2 sticks) of butter, softened

3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar

1/2 cup sugar

1 egg

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 1/2 cups gluten free flour (I use Whole Foods brand and I LOVE it)

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

3 cups certified gluten free oats (Bob's Red Mill)

Heat oven to 375 degrees. In large bowl, beat butter and sugars until creamy. Add egg and vanilla; beat well. Add combined flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg; mix well. Add oats; mix well.

Drop dough by rounded spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake 8 to 9 minutes.

I suggest letting the cookies cool a minute or two on the cookie sheet before removing them otherwise they will crumble and fall apart. They stay together after cooling, as long as you give them those few minutes! These make about 4 dozen cookies. I took a bunch into work and gave them away and everyone raved about them. They said they couldn't even tell they were gluten free! By the way, I didn't have any nutmeg on hand, so I just substituted with extra cinnamon.

I had an incredible weekend!

6 comments:

Endless Possibilities said...

I know that I already commented on some of these pics on your myspace, but you really are a great girlfriend and this will be a birthday that B will never forget!

This must have been an incredible experience! Awesome pictures!

B said...

It is true, "one for the books!" This little GF GF is the best thing that has ever happened to me since GF sliced bread. It is really too bad that I look like a total TOOL BAG in all of those pictures. It must be the gluten!!
Love always,
B

comma girl said...

Since we're both in AZ, maybe someday we'll eat GF together! Looks like your BF had a great birthday.

BTW, I only like the chocolate and the cinnamon donuts at GF Creations. The others are too strange tasting.

Maureen "Hold The Gluten" said...

Yum - I haven't had an oatmeal cookie in like three years... Can't wait to try your recipe! What an awesome weekend! I had gotten my hubby flight lessons as a gift one year (um, I couldn't keep the secret -- told him five minutes after I bought the gift certificate) :)

Marlow said...

Ooh I can not tell my boyfriend about this gift! You gave him the most awesome gift ever! It would put my birthday gift of a trip to Oregon to see his friend to shame!!

Anonymous said...

I found this site using [url=http://google.com]google.com[/url] And i want to thank you for your work. You have done really very good site. Great work, great site! Thank you!

Sorry for offtopic