Friday, November 27, 2009

Milky Way Candy Bars --NOT Gluten Free!

Did you know this???

I'm really second guessing myself here -- I could swear up and down and sideways that I have read the ingredients label of a Milky Way bar on more than more occasion, and within the last few months. So, while I want to say that they have reformulated their candy bars, I'm not going to. But, I do want to share this story with you.

Milky Way candy bars have always been one of my go-to candy bars. On Tuesday, my husband and I were at the grocery store picking up some last minute ingredients for our pre-Thanksgiving extravaganza. While at the register, I last minute tossed a Milky Way on the conveyor belt because I am incapable of resisting temptation. I ate half of the candy bar in the car on the way home.

I had a very serious, very quick reaction while still in the car. I'm pretty sure my intestines were thowing dishes at the wall, talking smack about my Mom (sorry Mom), and packing their bags to get the heck out of dodge. We had no idea why. (I say we because Brandon is my little gluten wrangler). We thought it was because I absent-mindly ate a piece of steak that fell out of Brandon's burrito at Chipotle earlier (yeah, I know, I know. Somebody slap me around, please).

It wasn't until last night when I went to indulge in the other half of the candy bar that something, out of pure luck, caught my eye. Right there, on the back of the wrapper, staring at me and waving it's gluten-y arms around, was MALTED BARLEY.

I'm pretty sure I blurted out a choice obscenity that is not appropriate to repeat as this is a family friendly blog.

Whoops.

So people, the moral of the story is, don't be as stupid as me. Please read the labels EVERY TIME. And do not buy Milky Ways.

(P.S. Can someone please put me out of my misery and tell me if you've ever read the ingredient label on a Milky Way and deemed it safe? Did they reformulate? Have I really missed this all this time?)

8 comments:

Nancy said...

Here are the ingredients. Regular ones definitely have wheat - but doesn't look like the darks ones do-

What are the ingredients in a MILKY WAY® Bar?

MILKY WAY® Bar ingredients: milk chocolate (sugar, cocoa butter, skim milk, chocolate, lactose, milkfat, soy lecithin, artificial flavor), corn syrup, sugar, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, skim milk, less than 2% milkfat, cocoa powder processed with alkali, lactose, MALTED BARLEY, WHEAT FLOUR, salt, egg whites, artificial flavor.


MILKY WAY® MIDNIGHT® Bar ingredients: semisweet chocolate (sugar, chocolate processed with alkali, cocoa butter, chocolate, milkfat, soy lecithin, vanilla extract, artificial and natural flavors), corn syrup, sugar, skim milk, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, less than 2% butter, milkfat, lactose, salt, egg whites, vanilla extract, artificial flavor.

Anonymous said...

Yes, they have reformulated it. You are not going crazy. Several of the Mars brands and Hershey brands chocolates have been reformulated to "save money". Another to be aware of is Reese Peanut Butter cups. You may still be able to find some old ones, but the new ones have corn syrup, corn syrup solids and wheat flour. They do not even taste as good as they used to.

GF Steph said...

Thanks Nancy and Anonymous for your information! I honestly thought I had lost my mind! I KNEW they were once okay! I'll keep my eye out for other candy products that may have been reformulated and I'll keep spreading the word to my gluten free buddies to be on the look out!

This was definitely a lesson in staying vigilant!

Traci said...

Actually, I have known for almost 4 years I have celiac & I noticed that Milky Way was NOT gluten free when I found out I had it. So...I would say, they have not reformulated it. But, I did bite into one (like a month after I found out I had it) thinking it was fine...OOPS. :)
I got my package in the mail today THANKS!

GFTiff said...

I have been gluten-free for 5 years, and Milky Way has had barley malt all that time. They used to be my favorite :( The Milky Way Midnight bar, with dark chocolate, is gluten-free, and yummy! Sorry you got sick. I've made silly mistakes like that too, several times.

Lindsey said...

So sad. Milky way was my pre-GF favorite. And I'm sad to hear that Reese Cups may not be GF now. They better not change M-Ms or I'm going to be seriously upset. What's a girl to do for her GF chocolate fix!!

glutenfreeislife said...

The dark ones are safe. :)

Lorla said...

I just read this. Just discovering that I need to be gluten free. (sick now for nearly 2 years) I swear I looked at that label. Granted... this is new for me. But I was sick again in minutes. ERG!!! I ran a google this morning on Milky Way and you came up! THANK YOU ThANK YOU THANK YOU!!!