Thursday, November 5, 2009

Mixes From The Heartland Gluten Free Pasta Veggie Soup Mix

 

Mixes From The Heartland is a company that sells certified gluten free, all natural, preservative free ready-made mixes. They sent me an email and offered to send me some samples, and, since I’ve never seen their products in ANY of my local stores, I jumped at the chance!

Upon looking at their website, I have to say, I was very impressed with their product line. They offer any mix you can think of, and others that you wouldn’t think of, but would want to try! They offer mixes for soups, stews, biscuits, breads, cakes, etc, and even offer mixes to make your own homemade noodles! It’s amazing!

What I love is the variety that you can get. Garlic roasted pepper biscuit mix? No problem. Apple cinnamon muffin mix? Yep, sign me up for that too. Taco Rice Skillet Meal? Oh mama, get in my belly.

I am so super excited to find out about this product because it is so difficult for me to put together week night meals. I work full time and go to school, so I am left with very little time to put together a respectable meal. These packets come with everything you need, all you have to do is add a thing or two (most of which you have in your pantry anyway). Ahhh…I see significantly less “What to make for dinner in a time crunch” stress in my future.

The first product I tried was their Pasta Veggie Soup. Here’s what it looks like:

IMG_1579

It’s got all the noodles and spices right in the pouch!

On the back it tells you what you need to add:

IMG_1581

And yes, this soup could be made vegetarian or vegan very easily. We actually didn’t put any meat in ours, simply because I didn’t have any on hand.

This soup really could not have been any easier. Throw two cans of tomatoes, 6 cups of water, 2 cans of beef stock, and the contents of the pouch in large pot and cook for 25 minutes. I actually got other stuff done around the house while this was cooking! It’s a miracle!

This was our finished soup:

IMG_1585

Mmmm…the noodles cooked up nicely and barely broke their shape. This soup was very filling, even without the addition of meat. We both really liked this soup.

I know what you’re thinking: Steph, you’re going on and on about how you love this product, but what didn’t you like? Well, if I’m being completely honest, some of the dehydrated vegetables didn’t quite cook through all the way, so a few of them still had a slightly odd crunch to them. I’m a huge texture person, so that was the only downside. Those little crunchy pieces were so few and far between though that it didn’t affect my overall enjoyment of the soup.

Products from Mixes From The Heartland can be ordered online at their website, or, if you’re lucky enough to live in Arizona, an extensive amount of their product line will be carried at Gluten Free Country Store in Gilbert, AZ.

I’m excited to try several more of their products, so keep an eye out for more reviews!

1 comment:

Gluten Free Steve said...

This soup sounds really good. I love soup and on a cold, gray Denver day like today, it'd be great.