Friday, November 28, 2008

Post-Thanksgiving Merriment, Pumpkin Pie disaster, and Gluten Free Cafe review!

I managed to achieve the seemly impossible! I made it through Thanksgiving without getting sick! The food was absolutely delicious, I definitely gorged myself to the maximum! The gluten free stuffing (anyone ever wonder why some people call it "dressing"?) that Brandon's mom's friend Nancy made was absolutely phenomenal. I brought the leftovers home with me. :) One person tried it unknowningly, and said afterward that they couldn't even tell it was gluten free. Some of the close-minded comments that were flying kinda irked me a bit, but I got over it quickly. If they want to shut themselves off to trying new and fantastic food just because it's "gluten free," then that's their problem. That's why I always get a kick out of cooking everything gluten free, and no one evens knows! That's how my wedding is going to be....muahaha.

I had my fair share of pumpkin pie depression yesterday. I normally bake a gluten free pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving, but this year I did not. I took pie last year, and there turned out to be, like, 10 pies there. So I didn't bother this year. I had to pain-stakingly listen as everyone talked about how good the pumpkin pie was. Ugh, it was torture. Pumpkin pie is very close to the top of my Favorite Things EVER list. So today, I defrosted my pre-made Gluten Free Bakehouse pie crust, and decided to make myself a pie!

I was sooo excited. I could already see myself slicing myself a very generous portion of this delicious pie. Then, as I took the pie out of the oven to test for doneness, I thought, "You know, they sure don't give you a lot of edge space to hold this sucker..." and then BAM! My beautiful, delightful, pumpkin pie slipped out of my oven mit covered hands right onto the open door of my oven! I started crying. Seriously. I was so desperate for my pie, I felt my Thanksgiving just wasn't complete without it. This is what it looks like:


I appreciate your tears of empathy for me. Brandon, of course, saved the day by telling me the pie would be just as delicious mangled as it would be in perfect form. So I resisted the urge to throw the damn pie against the wall in anger. I will eat the pie. It still sucks though.

For lunch today, I tried a new frozen meal I found at Whole Foods the other day (coincidentally when I was buying my gluten free pie crust).

Gluten Free Cafe Fettuccini Alfredo.


I have never heard of, nor seen, this brand in the store before. I LOVE fettuccini alfredo, so I decided to give it a whirl. It's simple enough, poke some holes in the plastic, cook for 3 minutes, remove plastic and stir, then cook for another 2 minutes.

I thought it was pretty good. The noodles seemed a little mushy, they sort of lost their definition during cooking. They were very soft, but tasted good. I thought the whole meal tasted sort of buttery. And even though you all know my love for Glutino brand products, I have to say this was much, much, MUCH better than their penne alfredo or whatever it was. That was just gross. So while I can't report that this frozen meal was life-altering, I can say that it is good enough in a pinch, and I would buy it again. They also have other flavors, so you might wanna check those out too.

Now I must get back to writing my research paper on Celiac disease. :)

1 comment:

Maureen "Hold The Gluten" said...

Hooray! Congrats on not getting glutened during Turkey Day :) That stinks about your pie -- I would totally cry too!!! Hope it still was super tasty...