Friday, December 5, 2008

Gluten Free Chicken Cordon Bleu

I found this recipe at delish.com and made it last night. And it was sooooo good!

I am one of those crazies that never ate chicken cordon bleu pre-gluten free. I've seen recipes for it since getting my gluten free act together, and they've all be breaded and oh, how I've wanted it in my belly.

This was so simple and incredibly delicious. I'll definitely be making it again and would consider making it for guests (or even a little extra for leftovers!).

Gluten Free Chicken Cordon Bleu
4 servings

1 tablespoon butter
4 small chicken breasts
1/2 cup chicken broth (make sure it's gluten free. I use Swanson's..just not the organic kind. I've read it isn't gluten free)
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/8 teaspoons black pepper
4 slices of ham
4 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese

1. In a large nonstick skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add chicken and saute until golden brown on the bottom. Turn chicken and reduce heat to medium; cover and cook until chicken is done.

2. Raise heat to medium-high and stir in broth, vinegar, and black pepper. Cook, uncovered, 1 minute, then remove skillet from heat.

3. Top each chicken breat with a ham slice, then a cheese slice. Cover skillet until cheese melts, about 3 minutes.

4. Plate the chicken and drizzle the sauce over top.

Those are the directions from the recipe. I thought the cheese didn't really melt enough by leaving it covered in the skillet. I left it in there longer than 3 minutes too, but it didn't get really gooey like I wanted it. So, if I had a do-over, I'd take the chicken with the ham and cheese, put it on a baking sheet and stick it in a low oven for a couple of minutes to really melt the cheese. I wanted it oozing all over the place, and doing it the way the recipe says just makes it stick to the ham, but not go anywhere. So if structured cheese is your thing, do it in the skillet. But if you're like me and want strings of gooey cheese dripping all over your chicken and hanging out of your mouth after every bite, try the oven.

Happy Friday to everyone! We're getting a Christmas tree this weekend, yippee!

1 comment:

Endless Possibilities said...

This sounds so good!


Enjoy tree shopping this weekend!