Friday, August 15, 2008

Obsession times 3

So I am currently a slave to 3 food obsessions: Tuna and crackers, strawberry yogurt, and a new one....tomatoes. I cannot get enough tomatoes. I walked by some awesome Roma tomatoes at Sprouts, they looked so good that I bought 3 and couldn't wait to eat them. I didn't want them on sandwiches, on my bunless burger, nothing like that. I wanted to slice them up and eat them by themselves. That's very uncharacteristic of me. I ate them pretty much right away and was constantly aching to go back to Sprouts to get more. I am so obsessed with tomatoes right now that I bought a tomato plant. Seriously. I even named it Tommy the Tomato Plant.

I made this tomato and feta salad today to feed the beast that's living inside me demanding more tomatoes. Here's what it looks like:


YUM. So here's the basics of what is in it. I just kinda eye balled it so I don't have exact measurements to give you. I just add a little more of what I like and add a little less of what I don't.

Organic grape tomatoes, sliced in half
Feta cheese, cut into small chunks
Parsley, minced
Basil, minced
Red onion, chopped
Olive oil
White wine vinegar
Fresh ground pepper
Kosher salt (not a lot because the feta is rather salty itself)

Throw it all in a bowl, stir carefully, and enjoy! My only suggestion is to go easy on the onions, unless of course you are a big onion lover. I am not, and I added just a smidge too much tonight.

I googled tomato cravings today because I was thinking that maybe my body is trying to tell me that I was lacking some nutrient that tomatoes offer. I haven't found much yet, but I am going to keep looking. I did read something about it being linked to iron-deficient anemia...there was a case of a woman that ate 6-10 whole tomatoes a day for a long time, then once she started treament for iron-deficient anemia, her tomato craving went away. Hmm..something to think about.

Why can't my body just crave multi-vitamins?? Maybe then I'd remember to take them consistently. Lol.

1 comment:

Nellie said...

Oh, I think I am addicted to tomatoes, I eat them with everything! And sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you about shampoo, here's a link to a more comprehensive list of things to look for in beauty products

http://bglutenfree.blogspot.com/2007/12/going-out-gluten.html

I've used Garnier Fructiese for years, cheap, no gluten, and smells good!