Thursday, August 14, 2008

Strawberry cake!

So I have been dying for strawberry cake ever since I saw this recipe at Gluten Free Mommy. Man, that looks so incredible. But let's face it, I'm lazy about 98% of the time. I wanted the quickest way to a similar result. So I made it up.



I bought this Glutino white cake mix. I hadn't tried it before so I thought, what the hell. I followed the directions on the box, then added 2 tablespoons (or so) of strawberry jello mix to the batter. I stirred it up, poured it in the pan, and baked it!

It smelled amazing while it was baking. It even looked incredible:


I stole some Pillsbury Cream Cheese frosting that my mom had in her pantry. Thanks Mom! P.S. Do NOT buy Betty Crocker frostings...they have wheat starch.

I eagerly frosted the cake up!



It was about half a second later that I was digging out a slice.



Holy cow, right? Well, it was really good! It was really, really sweet though so go easy on the slice! This was a pretty small serving (since it's late) and I couldn't even eat the whole thing. The strawberry flavoring isn't over powering, it's just enough to make it's presence known. I might try a different frosting next time, I think that's where the sugar overkill lies.


Overall, I am very pleased with this recipe. It was extremely easy and didn't turn out sucky! Woohoo!

1 comment:

Endless Possibilities said...

I don't think I have ever had strawberry cake but this looks so good! Yummy! I am glad you got your fix!

Hey, are sprinkles gluten free? I am sure...right?