Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Glutened.

I think I have been glutened. :-(

Anyone following a gluten free diet (or just a wheat free diet if you do a lot of research) knows the controversy and uncertainty surrounding oats. Oats are extremely easily contaminated by wheat in the fields they grow in and also in the trucks that transport them (and I'm sure by other means). This is why most avoid oats. I have previously been able to eat oats no problem, so I do. However, I haven't had them in a long while. I have thought long and hard about replacing my Quaker Oats with Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Oats, but never took the plunge to pay $5.99 for the latter. Last night I had a craving for oatmeal cookies, so I made some (with gluten free flour). 4 dozen to be exact. I ate two last night, and three today. It's hit me like a ton of bricks. My head feels like there is intense pressure building up until it has nowhere to go but to blow out of my ears. My head feels heavy and I just want to lay my head of my desk to nap. My vision is like I'm walking through a tunnel. I am dizzy, easily distracted, and forgetful. My arms feel like they aren't even connected to my body and have a mind of their own. My tummy has those familiar rumblings that seem to quietly tell you, "You f'ed up, man." I'm sure I'll start seeing the beginnings of the tell-tale rash soon.

I felt fabulous yesterday. Just say no to Quaker Oats. I guess the time to overpay for gluten free oats is now.

1 comment:

Michelle & Jacob said...

Oh no! That sucks so bad. I hope you are already feeling better!