Sunday, June 8, 2008

Honorable Mention

So Panda Express is not celiac/wheat free friendly. On their website they state: "We do not offer gluten-free entrées or side dishes." Basically everything there contains wheat. Hooray.

But, on the bright side, there is somewhere to go that is celiac friendly! I went to P.F. Chang's because I have heard they have a gluten free menu. I was surprised when I saw the menu because there was actually a lot to choose from (looking at the gluten free menu for Pei Wei on their website leaves much to be desired). So The Boy and I asked the waiter what the difference between the gluten free entree is, and the one off the regular menu (I wanted some of what he ordered, which I had also noticed was on the gluten free menu). I was honestly impressed by what I heard! They said if it is not ordered from the gluten free menu, there is a possiblity of it being contaminated by the beef marinating in soy sauce, and they also don't put it in their dedicated gluten free oil. To say the least, I was very impressed!! Finally a place that understands cross contamination. Most places offer that disclaimer: Due to shared cooking spaces and common frying oil, blah blah blah. So basically they say, consume at your own risk or cook it yourself because we're not going to try too hard for you. But P.F. Chang's understands that if my Spicy Chicken bumps into some soy sauce marinated beef or takes an oil bath with leftover soy sauce bits floating around, that I can't eat it without getting sick! Also, that oh-so-yummy crunchy covering on the Spicy Chicken (much like the orange chicken at Panda Express) is made from potato starch! Yay! They also bring you wheat free soy sauce and supposedly have a gluten free dessert, although I don't know what it is because I didn't get any. The server did bring us some fortune cookies as our "chinese dessert" and I had a good chuckle.

So there you go, enjoy some gluten free food cooked in dedicated frying oil for once at P.F. Chang's!

1 comment:

Michelle & Jacob said...

We should go to P.F's!!!

That sucks about Panda:(