Monday, June 30, 2008

Angel Food Cake DISASTER


So I was really craving some strawberry shortcake this weekend. I had previously bought the angel food cake mix by Gluten Free Pantry. I was very excited to try it as I have had their Decadent Chocolate Cake and Coffee Cake, and both were amazing. This was not the case with the angel food cake. I was very disappointed in this mix. The directions were easy enough; just add water and vanilla to the mix and beat with an electric mixer. I used my wisk attachment, like it directed, however, it easily took me twice as long as the box said it would. It says to beat for 10 minutes or until it reaches soft peak status. I had to beat this for at least 20 minutes to get it to be this consistency. So, with my tired arm, I put this in the oven to bake for 35 minutes. When I pulled it out, it looked great! Nicely golden brown and fluffy. When we removed it from the pan, we realized it did not smell as good as it looked. It had a really odd smell to it that did not make you want to dig in. The cake is very dense and sponge-like. The taste is not much better than the smell. We figured we'd drown it in fresh strawberries and whip cream. Even this could not save this cake, it went straight into our trash can. :-( I do not recommend this product, but DO try their chocolate cake and coffee cake! Those are downright delightful.
My next dessert escapade: GF oatmeal cream pies (with GF oats!) this weekend!

1 comment:

Michelle & Jacob said...

Your description of the cake made me vomit in my mouth a little bit!

Gross. Gross.Gross.

I am glad you wrote this review because it is hard to tell by looking at the box if a gf product will really be yummy!

Keep up the great reviews!