Thursday, June 19, 2008

Hidden Valley Ranch - Gluten Free!

So I have slowly been going through items I use frequently (or places I like to eat) and emailing them to find out if their products are definitely gluten free. I was really undecided on Hidden Valley Ranch (which I use for EVERYTHING....seriously) because a google search on the topic turned up inconsistent results. Some people said yes it's fine, others said it used to be but now it is not. I'm trying to eliminate the possiblity of any hidden gluten (as I've had some accidental glutenings...ugh) so I decided to email them and ask them. Here is their response, straight from my email box to you...


Thank you for contacting us about HV Full Cal Bottled Salad Dressing - Original Ranch. We always appreciate hearing from our consumers. Our HV Salad Dressing - Original Ranch is gluten free.
The FDA requires that we list the following allergens on our ingredient labels:
1. Egg
2. Soybean (excluding high refined oil)
3. Dairy
4. Peanut
5. Wheat (barley, rye, oats, or any source of gluten)
6. Fish
7. Crustacean
8. Tree Nut
For the most accurate source of information, please check the back of the ingredient panel for every purchase as ingredients may change.
Again, thank you for contacting us.
Sincerely,
James Micheals
Consumer Response Representative
Consumer Services



Hooray for small victories!! Now I don't have to throw out half of my recipes! Lol. By the way, I have an amazing recipe from the Hidden Valley website for chicken that is absolutely to die for and can easily made gluten free! I'll post it soon.

Speaking of emailing restaurants, it's best to avoid Red Robin if you are wheat/gluten free. Based on the gluten free menu they emailed me (I can forward it on if anyone would like to see it), there are very few items available and they pretty much state that even if you request things to be prepared a certain way (like no seasoning on your fries or burger) they can't guarantee it won't be contaminated. I'm not gonna risk it even though those bottomless steak fries are quite possibly the best fries on Earth. I'll stick to my Ore-Ida crinkle fries and Hidden Valley ranch, thankyouverymuch.

2 comments:

Marlow said...

I am SO happy to hear this! I had seen on other sites where they were saying that it was not gluten free and I was just getting ready to throw myself a tiny pity party when I saw your blog!

Maureen said...

I've had a few not-so-fun reactions to Hidden Valley Ranch mix. So it is the bottle that is gluten-free? I'll try it; I miss HV Ranch. (Watch for MSG; if it's not made in the US, it can contain "hidden" gluten.)