Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Beware of your ketchup!!

So last night I had a quick meal at my parent's house consisting of hot dogs (Oscar Meyer...a Kraft food, so OK), and some ketchup. Within 20 minutes of eating I noticed I was feeling itchy on my stomach. I just figured it was a bug bite. I went home and after my shower, I noticed clusters of tiny, itchy red bumps all over my abdomen (dermatitis herpetiformis, caused by a reaction to gluten). What the hell? What did I eat??

Well, researching my ketchup today, I figured it out. I wanted to give everyone warning, because based on the label, I thought it was hunky-dory.

Hunt's Ketchup from their website:

Q: Which Hunt's tomato products contain gluten? Do you have a list of products that contain gluten?

A: Most Hunt's tomato products are gluten-free. The exceptions include Hunt's Ketchup and Barbecue Sauce, which contain distilled vinegar made from wheat or corn and may contain trace amounts of these grains. Therefore, they are not gluten-free. Among the 11 varieties of Hunt's Spaghetti Sauces, the following three varieties include an indirect source of gluten (wheat, oats, barley, or rye):
Original Meat
Four Cheese
Italian Sausage

It is always best to read the ingredient statement printed on the label because reformulation occurs from time to time.

From the Heinz Ketchup website:

Where can I find gluten-free products?

Heinz Ketchup and Heinz Organic Ketchup do not contain any gluten (the distilled vinegar used is from corn sources). Also, Wine Vinegar, Distilled White Vinegar and Apple Cider Vinegar are gluten-free. Heinz Hot & Spicy Ketchup Kick'rs is gluten-free as well.

I have Heinz in my fridge at home. My parent's have Hunts. I noticed this and read the label, but didn't think it was bad. But I was wrong! Just wanted to give everyone the heads up! Watch out for your ketchup!

12 comments:

Allie said...

THANKS!

I had no idea!!

Michelle and Jacob said...

I had no clue! I am going to call you the "Gluten Sleuth" :)

You're awesome!

Kevin Baker said...

Au contraire. Distilled vinegar IS, in fact, gluten free - even if it's made from wheat. You'll have to sleuth a little further to find out why you had that reaction - or else the folks at Hunt's aren't telling us everything there is to know about their ketchup. If their ketchup contains gluten, it's NOT because of the vinegar.

For a few quick references on distilled vinegar, see the following articles:

http://www.celiac.com/articles/329/1/Are-Distilled-Vinegars-Made-from-Wheat-Safe/Page1.html.

http://www.celiac.com/articles/184/1/American-Dietetic-Association-Revises-Its-Gluten-Free-Guidelines---Distilled-Vinegar-is-Safe-for-a-Gluten-Free-Diet/Page1.html

http://glutenfreedietitian.com/newsletter/?page_id=16

Kevin Baker, webmaster
www.glutenfreelex.org

Anonymous said...

Normally, sausages contains gluten too (I think it's about the consistenty), was that Oscar Meyer aswell?

But you'r right, some Ketchups contains gluten. However, Heinz is brandin it's ketchup gluten-free, and Heinz is also the one which tastes the best ;-) hehe.

So I would deffinately recommend Heinz.

Wendy Hawkinson said...

Thank you so much for posting about these things. My 19 month old son is on a gfcf diet and I'm totally new to this. I have to run to the computer about 30 times a day to double check foods.

Thank you for saving me a lot of time!!!

~Wendy Hawkinson
www.gotrubberwillstamp.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

There's another website who says Hunt's Ketchup is GF! She just wrote the blog/article on Feb 3, 2012, and here is a link: http://thisglutenfreelife.com/is-hunts-ketchup-gluten-free/

Do you think the most updated info is correct since you wrote yours a few years ago? Any help would be appreciated - Am new to the whole GF thing! Thanks!

Patrice said...

I don't care what the other sites say, They are wrong! Hunt's Ketchup contains gluten.
I had a horrible reaction to it within 15 minutes of eating it. I make my own fries in canola oil in a gluten safe kitchen, so there was no other source.

I've emailed Hunt's.

Anonymous said...

hey
I was looking for the source of my "6 months pregnant" look and put in Hunts Ketchup, because it was the only "commercially prepared food", I'd had prior to bloating up.

My thoughts are that if its not the distilled vinegar then its the "natural flavors" or in the onion or garlic powder.

UGH.
Patrice did you get a reply?

: )

Macaroni said...

I got hunts cause i'm allergic to corn and it has no corn syrup. Forgot to check the label and found the natural flavors after I got home. My guess would be that's the source of the gluten if it's not vinegar which i stay away from anyway because i'm not expert enough yet to navigate that properly.

btw i relate to the 6 months pregnant look! it's so terrible the things that gluten can do to some people. its nice to know i'm not crazy and that normal foods that people eat every day really are making me very very sick. sometimes my friends don't understand =(

Anonymous said...

Heinz attacked me yesterday. I get it on my face where is is very apparent. I am finding a lot of things and restaurants that say it is Gluten free is in fact not. I feel attacked by gluten but I have only know for two weeks. Restaurants are the worst. I keep having bad reaction when ever I go. I am not sure if I have to get gluten free shampoo, soap yet. Any comments. A little bummed at this point. But I will get better attitude soon. I hope.

Anonymous said...

Here is the list of Heinz gluten free products on their website as of the date of this post - very frustrating when you have a reaction and you have no clue to what! Lots of ketchup products listed but also the caveat to read the labels to make sure! :-(

http://www.heinz.com/glutenfree/products.html

Heather said...

I got glutened by Hunts ketchup yesterday. I prepare everything I ate for the last 3 weeks in my gf kitchen myself. I had eggs, potatoes,and a slice of gf toast with butter and Hunts ketchup for breakfast yesterday and was sick as a dog all day. The bottles in the garbage and I will never touch hunts again. Please. Use caution