Monday, July 14, 2008

Summer Recipes

So, right now I am completely preoccupied with making foods that I feel represent summer. Besides scouring for fun, new grilling recipes in my spare time, I make an abundance of the good ol' standbys. Here's a few of my favorites that I happened to make all in one night (last night).


Deviled Eggs


Boil eggs. Mix mayo, mustard, pepper, and garlic salt with egg yolks. Sprinkle with paprika. Delightful!

Potato Salad



Not the best picture of my potato salad. I overcooked the potatoes last night which made them kind of crumbly. Watch out for that! Boil red skin potatoes until fork tender (maybe a little harder than this, even). Let cool and cut into large chunks. Add chopped green onion, bacon pieces (buy the ones in the aisle with the salad dressing for convenience), and dill to potatoes. In a separate bowl, combine mayo and dijon mustard. Add to potatoes, but be conservative! I've made the mistake of putting too much and it really lowers the amazingness of this side dish.
Muddy Buddies


Since Rice Chex are now gluten free, I am sure that this recipe is a lot of celiac's new favorite treat! This is quick and easy, and down right scrumpticious. Here is the recipe from the Chex website:

9 cups Rice Chex® cereal (gluten free)
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar

1. Into large bowl, measure cereal; set aside.
2. In 1-quart microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter uncovered on High 1 minute; stir. Microwave about 30 seconds longer or until mixture can be stirred smooth. Stir in vanilla. Pour mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated. Pour into 2-gallon resealable food-storage plastic bag.
3. Add powdered sugar. Seal bag; shake until well coated. Spread on waxed paper to cool. Store in airtight container in refrigerator.

Anybody remember Nutter Butters? I use to love those growing up, but now that those are forbidden, so I find these to be a good substitute. I generally make a half batch of these because it's more managable. Plus, if I have 9 cups of this laying around, I WILL eat it all and then tell myself I really should sign back up for that pilates class. But I won't.



No comments: